+27 33 845 1000
+27 35 573 9001
Camping, Self Catering
uMkhuze Mantuma Camp
The uMkhuze section of iSimangaliso is situated in the north-west of the Park, roughly 335km from Durban. The reserve was established on 15 February 1912 and is 40 000ha in extent. It was incorporated into the iSimangaliso Wetland Park in 1999 when iSimangaliso was inscribed as South Africa's first world heritage site.
What to do on arrival
- Overnight visitors are requested to check in at the reception office at Mantuma Camp. Visitors may take up their accommodation from 14h00 and check out time is 10h00. All visitors pay an entrance fee at the gate.
- No pets are permitted in the reserve.
- No firewood may be collected in the Park.
- The water is chlorinated and filtered for human consumption but is very salty.
- Mineral/spring water is on sale at the camp curio shop and Rhino-Dine-O takeaway.
- Basic food stuffs and a variety of curio items are on sale at the curio shop.
- It is advisable to bring binoculars, a first aid kit, a torch, insect repellent, a hat and sun-tan lotion.
- Unleaded petrol and diesel are on sale at Mantuma.
- Mosquito nets are provided in each accommodation unit.
- Gate entry times:
- Summer (1 November – 31 March): 05h00 to 19h00
- Winter (1 April – 30 October): 06h00 to 18h00
- These times are strictly enforced. The accommodation complexes are not fenced. Please do not walk beyond the vicinity of your own chalet or campsite after sunset unless it is essential to do so due to the presence of lions.
- Office hours:
- 08h00 to 16h30 daily
- Sundays and Public Holidays: 08h00 to 16h00 daily.
How to get there
- From the south, the turn-off to uMkhuze is signposted 35km north of Hluhluwe.
- From this point, the road is gravel.
- Approximately 15km further turn right onto another signposted road through the Lebombo Mountains.
- The entrance is 10km along this road and the route is clearly signposted.
- Visitors from the north should take the road through Mkuze Village, which is 18km from the entrance gate and 28km from Mantuma camp. This road is well signposted.