7-2 Oct 2015
For more information about the iSimangaliso My Rhino, Our Future please contact:
My Rhino, Our Future
uBhejane wami, Ikusasa lethu sonke
“iSimangaliso must be the only place on the globe where the oldest land mammal (the rhinoceros) and the world’s biggest terrestrial mammal (the elephant) share an ecosystem with the world’s oldest fish (the coelacanth) and the world’s biggest marine mammal (the whale)” - President Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela, 2001
iSimangaliso Wetland Park is South Africa’s first World Heritage Site. From Kosi Bay in the north, bordering Mozambique, to Maphelane, south of St Lucia, iSimangaliso is South Africa’s second largest protected area. The Park is home to the Big Five (lion, rhino, leopard, elephant and buffalo) and many other animals.
Inspired by former President Nelson Mandela, iSimangaliso Authority is implementing an exciting community wide rhino awareness programme in northern KwaZulu-Natal. The aim of the iSimangaliso My Rhino, Our Future programme is to involve youth in raising awareness for rhinos and their protection in iSimangaliso Wetland Park and South Africa. This exciting initiative allows youth to have a voice in the war against rhino poaching and seeks to create the next generation of wildlife ambassadors.
To help us create awareness and ultimately stop rhino poaching, you can do one of the following:
- Like the iSimangaliso Facebook, Instagram or Twitter page.
- Create artwork where kids are encouraged to explore their creative side to draw, colour and/or make a photo collage of a Rhino.
- The artwork should also include messages about poaching and why they think it is important to protect rhinos and other iconic and endangered species in South Africa and iSimangaliso Wetland Park.
- Upload your artwork to Instagram and/or Facebook with the following hashtags #iSimangaliso4Rhinos #iSimangalisoMyRhinoOurFuture
- Email selected artwork (maximum five of your best) to email@example.com
- Post a rhino shoutout video on Instagram, Facebook or Youtube.
- Paint kids noses red/pink to make a statement on rhino poaching
- Shoutout your message for rhino conservation. The shoutout should include the following:
- Start with the name of our awareness programme: “iSimangaliso My Rhino, Our Future”
- A short conservation message explaining why kids have painted their noses
- Challenge at least two other schools to do a rhino shoutout
- Use one or more of the following hashtags when uploading your video #iSimangaliso4Rhinos #iSimangalisoRhinoChallenge #iSimangalisoMyRhinoOurFuture