Maphelane is a popular base for fishermen and nature lovers. There are two self-guided trails: one tracks the edge of the estuary while the other ascends the dunes to offer spectacular views of the ocean and river mouth. The Maphelane dune, at 183m, is iSimangaliso’s highest vegetated dune.
The Maphelane camp consists of 40 campsites and a number of 5-bed log-cabins, some of which overlook the Indian Ocean.
- Fishing (shore, deep sea)
- Swimming or walking on the beach
- Gate opening and closing times:
- April to September – 06h00 to 18h00
- October to March – 06h00 to 19h00
- Reception hours:
- 08h00 to 12h30 and 14h00 to 16h30 (Mon – Sat)
- 07h00 to 15h00 (Sun)
- Entry fee:
- Adults – R40
- Children (under the age of 12) – R25
- Community Levy: R5 per person
- Camp contact details: +27 35 590 1407