iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority’s Higher Education Programme offers a package of support to help young people from communities around the iSimangaliso Wetland Park to access tertiary education in the fields of Conservation or Tourism. Since its inception in 2010, the programme has provided bursaries and support to 98 students.
Why Apply for the iSimangaliso Bursary?
- Fee free education provided by Government may not cover all your study costs. Depending on where you are studying and what course you have registered for, the iSimangaliso bursary covers the costs of books, laptops, data, travel expenses, accommodation and meals.
- The iSimangaliso bursary also provides academic and psychosocial support to students through its partner organisation REAP. This helps students to adjust to university life and get the support they need to be able to pass their courses and graduate. iSimangaliso students have achieved an 87% pass rate, which is way above the national average.
- iSimangaliso provides you with opportunities to improve your work readiness through skills development workshops and community service initiatives during the holidays.
- Get to know the iSimangaliso Wetland Park through an annual student’s workshop, work-based experience and a wilderness leadership experience for students after their first year of study.
Who can Apply for the iSimangaliso Bursary?
You may apply if you meet the following criteria:
- You have been accepted for your first year of study at a public South African higher education institution included in the list below;
- You have applied for an NSFAS bursary, or have confirmation that you have been awarded an NSFAS bursary;
- You have been registered for an approved iSimangaliso course in Conservation, Tourism, or related discipline;
- You have a minimum aggregate of 55% for Grade 11 or Grade 12 results (whichever results are your most recent);
- You are a South African citizen;
- You are a verifiable member of either:
- The land claimant communities from iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority (Sokhulu, Bhangazi, Dukuduku, Western Shores, Mdletsheni, Makhasa, Mnqobokazi, Nside, Ngwenya, Jobe, Mabaso, Emandleni, (Mbila) and Triangle (Mbila), and Coastal Reserves); OR
- A resident of the Mkhanyakude District Municipality (areas that are close to iSimangaliso Wetland Park) or the Mfolozi Local Municipality, particularly the Sokhulu area.
Study areas that iSimangaliso will consider for bursaries
|Conservation and Related Disciplines|
|1||Biology, Botany, Zoology, Ecology, Environmental Science, Geography, Environmental Planning, Conservation Ecology, Biodiversity, Land Management, Applied and Environmental Microbiology, Hydrology, Climatology, Wildlife Studies, Land Management, Geology and Palaeontology|
|2||Nature Conservation (diploma), Horticulture, Veterinary Science|
|Business, Tourism and Hospitality|
|1||Business Science, Commerce, Accounting (including CA, Cost and Management Accounting, Internal Auditing, Taxation), Marketing, Business Administration, Tourism, Eco-tourism, Tourism Management, Hospitality and Catering Management, Cultural and Heritage Tourism|
|2||Business Information Systems, Computer Science|
|1||Development Studies, Development Planning, Development Management, Sociology, Anthropology, Development Facilitation, Environmental Journalism, Environmental Planning and Development|
|2||History, Organisational Psychology, Environmental Law, Town and Regional Planning|
|1||Civil Engineering, Building Science, Quantity Surveying, Land Surveying, Architecture and Architectural Technology|
Which University may an iSimangaliso Bursary Student Study at?
- University of KwaZulu-Natal
- University of the Western Cape
- Nelson Mandela University
- University of the Free State
- Central University of Technology
- University of Johannesburg
How to apply for an iSimangaliso Bursary
- The application form is available online and can be filled in electronically. Fill in and submit the online application form by 30 April 2021:
- Alternatively, download the Application Form for Bursary and Support for Study in 2019 below, fill in the application form attached to it and submit to iSimangaliso by 30 April 2021. You can also download the Download Bursary Application Guidelines:
- Make sure that you provide all the supporting documentation requested. These include:
- Grade 11 or 12 results, whatever results are the most recent;
- Letter from the Traditional Council confirming your place of residence; and
- Confirmation of your application for an NSFAS bursary.
- iSimangaliso will screen applicants who meet the eligibility criteria, and continue to guide those applicants through the application process.
When you arrive at University after you have been accepted to study an approved iSimangaliso course, you will be required to fill in a comprehensive bursary application form for the iSimangaliso bursary.
Submission of Application Forms and Closing Date
The online and hard copy application closing date is 30 April 2021. Hard copy applications must be submitted by 30 April 2021 to:
The iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority, The Dredger Harbour, St Lucia, 3639
Your school, Land Claimant Office or Traditional Authority Office
For all enquiries and more information, contact: