uMkhuze temporary road closures
Dear Visitors / Operators
The uMkhuze section of the iSimangaliso Wetland Park has received unprecedented rainfall in the past week, with over 273 mm recorded in the past 5 days. More significant rain is forecast in the coming days.
While a blessing for the habitat, the consequences of such heavy rain unfortunately include damage to some of our Park access and visitor roads and we ask that you take note of necessary temporary closures in the following areas until the damage has been assessed or repaired.
- Outside of the Park, the access road to the eMshophi Gate has been damaged and it is not advisable for sedans or low clearance vehicles to use this road. The Department of Transport is aware of the problem and has been requested to intervene urgently;
- The Ophansi Gate access route from the R22 is also in a poor state and we also do not advise visitors to attempt to access this by sedan. High clearance and 4×4 vehicles would still be able to access these entrances subject to road works and repairs that may result in further temporary closures;
- The road down south at the Mlambamude crossing has been closed by the South Loop turn off due to the bridge being undercut and more than half the road washed away;
- The road to iNsumo Pan (hides and picnic site) has been closed due to dangerous river crossings and flooding subject to further assessment as waters recede;
- Loop Road and the road to the Lebombo Tower area have been badly eroded. Only vehicles with high road clearance i.e. bakkies and bigger SUVs will be allowed until the road has been graded.
We sincerely apologise to our guests for the inconvenience which is beyond our control, and we will continue to update the public as we effect repairs. We urge visitors to contact the Hospitality Office on 035 5739001 / 4 prior to a planned visit to obtain a current status report before making the journey. Your safety remains our priority and we will work as quickly as possible to repair damages.