Fixed Term Contract (2 years)
iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority, a renowned World Heritage Park where conservation, sustainable tourism and benefit sharing prevails, is looking for three experienced Rhino Monitors. Two will be based at uMkhuze Eastern Shores and one at Western Shores Section. This post will report to the Cluster Conservation Manager.
The purpose of this job is to provide support to the law enforcement operations in the iSimangaliso Wetland Park. This will be achieved through the active monitoring of the Forward Operations Centre and placement and servicing of covert trap cameras as well as the monitoring and maintenance of LoRa towers. In addition, the successful candidate will be required to assist the section rangers by going out on patrols with their Field Rangers to determine the strategic placement of camera traps. In addition, the candidate will be required to capture data onto CMore as part of the law enforcement reporting requirements. As a result, the candidate will be expected to stay in various types of accommodation throughout the park to ensure that all sections in the park are covered.
- Diploma in Nature Conservation
- Code 08 drivers licence would be an added advantage
- Motorcycle license would be an added advantage
- Relevant firearms qualification/competency and applicants with proven relevant experience are encouraged to apply.
- Some experience in working in a complex dynamic environment of a big five game reserve
- Experience with accurate data collection in the field, data management and report writing is crucial
- Experience in approaching dangerous game on foot would be an advantage
- Previous experience in the use of trap cameras would be an advantage and Experience with Excel and CMore would be an added advantage.
- Fluent in English and isiZulu
- Physically fit
- Ability to work long hours under difficult circumstances
- A sound working knowledge of field-based GPS data collection
- Computer literacy
- Able to work and perform under pressure
- Conscientious and accurate in approach to work
- Ability to work independently, enthusiastic, and energetic
- Willing to travel to and overnight in isolated areas.
Key performance areas
- Security surveillance monitoring and reporting of incursions incidents to the law enforcement staff
- Basic law enforcement data capture and analysis
- Monitoring and maintenance of all security trap cameras to ensure that the down time for any camera is not more than 24 hours
- Strategic covert placement of law enforcement trap cameras
- Participate in foot patrols to identify suitable camera placement locations in line with data from analyzed law enforcement operations
- Update and maintain all cameras on Snap Catch.
Single room will be provided.
Response to the advertised vacant position and closing date
Please send your application letter with a detailed CV stating the reference number and the position you applying for with certified copies of qualifications, ID and driver’s license attached to: email@example.com before the close of business on 30 June 2020. Certification should not be older than 3 months. Failure to submit the certified copies will result in your application not being considered. Qualifications and experience must be stated both in the covering letter and CV. No applications will be accepted after the closing date.
Appointment of the candidate into this position will be made at the sole discretion of the iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority. Applicants who have not received any response within 60 days from closing date should consider their applications unsuccessful. The appointment for this position will be made in accordance with the Employment Equity Policy and Employment Equity Plan of iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority.
For any administrative matters in relation to this advert you may call: Nombuso Memela, on tel: (035) 590 1633, during business hours between 08h00 and 16h00.